Bart Vanderveen Award 2009???

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

With Beltring looming up its time we thought about who should be up for this award this year.It was great that Jack won it last year for his modern approach and contribution to the hobby.It was a surprise to many and many people got the hump over it.Jack knows my views on him winning and this is by no means a dig at him.

I feel that there are people who for a long time have been beavering away and made huge contributions to the Hobby without making a profit from it.Some of the past winners (unlike Jack) i feel didnt fit into the original remit.It would be nice if this year we could get our finger out and make an effort to recognise one of them.I have my own favourite,before they keel over and end up with a few words in the back of Windscreen magazine.I dont know if its pc to discuss names or whot contributions they have made on here but i think we need to start thinking about it.NOW.CW.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Beltring looming up its time we thought about who should be up for this award this year.It was great that Jack won it last year for his modern approach and contribution to the hobby.It was a surprise to many and many people got the hump over it.Jack knows my views on him winning and this is by no means a dig at him.

I feel that there are people who for a long time have been beavering away and made huge contributions to the Hobby without making a profit from it.Some of the past winners (unlike Jack) i feel didnt fit into the original remit.It would be nice if this year we could get our finger out and make an effort to recognise one of them.I have my own favourite,before they keel over and end up with a few words in the back of Windscreen magazine.I dont know if its pc to discuss names or whot contributions they have made on here but i think we need to start thinking about it.NOW.CW.

C'mon CW name names, I'm sure people on here would support a nomination from you and especially after last years recognition this forum has real credibility.

C'mon CW name names, I'm sure people on here would support a nomination from you and especially after last years recognition this forum has real credibility.

I dont have a problem with that,the downside is they may read it.maybe if Jacks in the house (as we say at the BRIXTON massive) he could gives us his views. :-D

With all due respect to Jack I think he would be the first to say that he doesn't know the history of a lot of the people who have had a major influence on our hobby over the last 40 years compared to someone of your experience.

I think nominations have to be sent in to Pat Ware at the end of the day for them to be concidered...

I believe that is the procedure Lee.i have to admit in not giving this much thought of late and am out of touch with the correct way of going about it,i am sure someone out there can put us right.:-D

I think nominations have to be sent in to Pat Ware at the end of the day for them to be concidered...

I don't doubt that you are correct Lee but surely a nomination from CW with the backing of many of the forum members would at least carry some weight.

I believe theres a nomination form in the W&P program each year &

http://www.afterthebattle.com/bartmem.htm

Nomination forms are available Classic Military Vehicle magazine. The postal address is Classic Military Vehicle, Cudham Tithe Barn, Berrys Hill, Cudham, Kent TN16 3AG. Please make sure that your nomination is clearly marked 'Bart Vanderveen Challenge Shield'. 'cmv.ed@kelsey.co.uk'

I don't doubt that you are correct Lee but surely a nomination from CW with the backing of many of the forum members would at least carry some weight.

Trouble is that each years nomination is kept secret so putting names out in the open may mean they are wrongly left off... just a thought..

Trouble is that each years nomination is kept secret so putting names out in the open may mean they are wrongly left off... just a thought..

Looks like it needs taking to PM then and perhaps get Jack to submit a nomination.

Looks like it needs taking to PM then and perhaps get Jack to submit a nomination.

Good idea,my only worry is lots of younger members as Degsy says are unaware of whos who and what they have done,difficult one this.

Thanks for the link Lee.cw.

Or put in your own... you never know, Jack may have someone in mind himself... problem of putting someone forward under the HMVF banner is that there would have to be a general agreement of the members for that nomination, which would be a bit hard if Jack decides to keep names of the forum.. if 50 members sent a suggestion to Jack I expect we would end up with 50 different nominations..:sweat:

As Degys says a lot of new people in the hobby & some members may not be aware of the veterans of the hobby that have made contributions in the past or simply may just not agree with some of the old school getting the award for what ever reason...

CW,

Why don't you pick a few people from the past who are still around, write a few lines about what they've done and why they are important. That way we can all find out a bit about the past, and maybe forum members might be inspired to nominate one of them themselves?

Chris

I think Lee is right it has to be done individually.

I think Chris it has to be in a way thats not directly linked to the award.

Such as ,People i have met during the years i have been involved in military vehicles.

But then anyone out there can tell a story of someone they met and the influence they had on there hobby ,cant they.I am batting for the old boys but of course the younger blokes may have there own ideas and of course are welcome to share them here.cw.

Edited by Marmite!!
title

Good idea,my only worry is lots of younger members as Degsy says are unaware of whos who and what they have done,difficult one this....

CW, I'm not active enough in the hobby to be confident about voting for, let alone nominating, someone for this award.

Perhaps such a decision would be best made by "the elders" whoever they may be or past recipients, as anyone making a worthy contribution would surely have come to their notice?

So if anyone knows of someone quietly beavering away, they ought to make a private nomination in order to bring that person to the judges' attention maybe?

Good that you've raised this subject, as we all now know how to nominate :thumbsup:

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags

Good topic.

I made my vote many many months ago.

I wouldn’t want names listed here as there are certain protocols and certain etiquette involved with something so prestigious as this award and voting should remain behind closed doors. So please discuss the topic but no names.

Old school/new school – does it really matter? The award is for outstanding contribution to the military vehicle movement – not how many years you have been in it. Age and experience doesn’t necessary equate to wisdom or outstanding contribution to the military vehicle movement.

CW was right when he said that when I/we won the award it upset a few folks…rumour has it that many letters of compliant were sent in, one former winner threatened to send his award back in disgust and revulsion (which of course he never did). And plenty more cr*p has come my way too. I found that all rather pathetic, pointless and egotistical to be honest.

One comment went like this – “ Jack Beckett, what he ever done for this hobby, he has only been in it for five minutes – I have been in it for twenty!!!” when asked what he had done, he went quite all of sudden. Strange that.

So the point is it doesn’t matter if they are young or old – it is what the have done that counts. So many folks are good at talking the talk but really don’t contribute anything and never will.

We need to be recognising the founding fathers and we also need to be encouraging and motivating the younger generation to push this hobby forward.

The hobby needs, visionaries, motivators, dreamers, doers, people with the mindset of ‘it can be done’ and we need entrepreneurs to make this great hobby greater….

Well i am going to stick my oar in and name names!. My vote goes for *******************!

He is HMVF,s answer to Bart Vanderveen,and as been in, and contributed to the movement longer than anyone can remember.

Gets my vote:thumbsup:

Second vote goes to that old poser *********respect.gif

Edited.... that will keep them guessing...

Good topic.

I wouldn’t want names listed here as there are certain protocols and certain etiquette involved with something so prestigious as this award and voting should remain behind closed doors. So please discuss the topic but no names.

Edited by Marmite!!

• 4 weeks later...

All nominations for the Bart Vanderveen Challenge Shield should now be sent to either Jim Baxter (IMPS) or Preston Isaac (MVT). I sent my choice in to the CMV editor as originally publicised, but apparantly they have now handed it over to the IMPS and MVT to run. You do not have to be a member of either club, to vote.......so get your votes in for your choice.

For more info on this go to;

http://milweb.net/features/bart_vanderveen.php

What a shame (in my opinion) that the nominations are now being dealt with by the two largest Military Vehicle Clubs of the UK.

Jack and HMVF would certainly never have been awarded the Bart Vanderveen award for 2008 if the MVT had anything to do with the final decision.................

I, like the overwhelming majority of those who have entered into any discussion on the subject, whole-heartedly endorsed HMVF's richly deserved award and I know (having met the man himself and driven him aboard my DUKW) that BV would have also approved of Jack's efforts to forward the preserved MV movement in a hitherto, completely new direction.

But now, having read on this thread who's assisting in making the ultimate decision as to who wins the award in the future, I have my reservation.

Edited by M5Clive